Interview: Jim Fiscus



• What first attracted you to photography? 
I went to a bullfight in Mexico with my uncle when I was a six or seven. My dad was sick with the revenge he let me take his camera. I got in trouble for shooting his entire roll of film. Taking pictures with my uncle was the coolest thing ever. He probably encouraged me to use up the roll just to make my dad mad. I sort of kept on going and here we are.

• When did you attend East Texas State (A&M Commerce)? -I think 1987-88

Many photographers have emulated you work.  As one of the originators of this look, what makes your esthetic unique?

The light is the basis of my story telling. Different types of light bring different feelings or emotions. There is a fairly wide range of work in my portfolio. I think that my approach is to make each job stand on it's own. It's a compliment for people to be aware of my work, but I don't really keep up with all that. I just want to make better photographs.

• Does the Jim Fiscus style come from your lighting or post production? 

The "Jim Fiscus Style" is a weird thing to me. There are a lot of different looks in my book. The images are different based on what I'm trying to tell. Lighting is the basis of any post technique. Without good light it's just a picture that's run through a computer, and that's not legit. Lighting technique and a computer are really just tools to manage the Zone System. I spent months learning the Zone System from Jim Newbury and at the time it seemed unnecessary. I'm certainly glad I learned it as I use it on every image I make. Thank you Jim Newbury.


 • How have social networking sites or blogging effected your business? 
Not really sure as I'm somewhat anti social. I've never actually written much about myself as it seems sort of forced and self serving. In fact, I've procrastinated in writing this for two weeks, and without my studio manager hounding me I wouldn't be sitting here now. There is a lot of stuff written about me. Most of it I didn't say or even do. Life is odd. I keep a closed set.

• How has your idea of photography change since you were in school?  

Are you still passionate about your work, or is it just a job. -I have the best job in the world. I had the greatest teacher in the world named Jim Newberry, and I loved my time in school (ETSU). I was prepared in terms of the creative and historic aspects of photography, but was not in any way prepared for the business side. Without business skills it is very difficult to run a photography business. I made every mistake one can and somehow still made it. So, photography is just as exciting as it was when I watched an image appear in a tray on the 3rd floor, but the business is hard work. 9/10 of my time is used running my business, and 1/10 making photographs. Not quite what I planned, but still better than plumbing.


• Where does you your inspiration come from? -too much reading of science fiction, music, painting, daydreaming and dreams, time on planes and trains, time in NY, and travel.

• What is one thing you can’t live without in your studio? -My studio manager, Andrea.

• What are some of your favorite projects you have worked on? 
All the Channel 4 stuff out of London. Anything from UK really as those guys are so wacked. Showtime does great work and I love entertainment. Levi's was one of the most fun as I had 40 people working at the Salton Sea and we had really loud music in an otherwise quiet place. There are dozens of favorite projects. Making pictures is a really fun thing to do. A job doesn't have to be big to be a favorite. I'm lucky to have a new top favorite 5 or 6 times a year.


• What advice do you have for aspiring photographers? 
Learn business skills. Outwork your competitors. Take risk and be willing to fail. Have fun. Don't take a camera on vacation. Make sure you have goals. More importantly, pause to feel good when you have achieved a goal. It's easy to keep resetting the goals and living in the future.

Find more of Jim Fiscus official site.  www.fiscusphoto.com
(photos from www.fiscusphoto.com)

Popular posts from this blog

Congratulation Winners of the 38th Annual High School Shootout

39th Annual High School Shoot-Out Contest Results